New users must register here first and login.
Circular Economy: Increasing Resource Efficiency and Designing Out Waste
About the Course
Unsustainable linear consumption trends are accelerating climate change, which is a particular challenge among developing Asia’s fast-growing populations and economies. The shift to a more circular economy could drive sustainable growth by maximizing resource efficiency while minimizing environmental impacts and carbon emissions.
This course introduces circular economy principles and examples of infrastructure, investment, business practices, and innovation needed to stem unsustainable consumption. It also highlights policy opportunities for facilitating the transition to circularity in developing countries. It consists of four units:
Unit 1: Introduction to Circular Economy Concepts (9 minutes)
Unit 2: Circular Economy and Infrastructure (5 minutes)
Unit 3: Circular Economy and Plastics (15 minutes)
Unit 4: Toward a Circular Economy (4 minutes)
- Better understand circular economy concepts and how their adoption can support sustainable development
- Identify opportunities for building a more circular economy across different sectors
How to Complete this Course
- Watch 4 short video lessons
- Review open access reading materials
- Pass a multiple-choice test with a score of 8/10 or higher
- Answer 2 brief feedback questions
- Certificate issued upon completion of course requirements
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations. 2021. ASEAN Adopts Framework for Circular Economy. 21 October.
- Asian Development Bank. 2020. Waste to Energy in the Age of the Circular Economy: Compendium of Case Studies and Emerging Technologies. Manila: ADB.
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation. 2021. Circular Economy Introduction.
- Liu, L., and S. Ramakrishna. 2021. An Introduction to Circular Economy. Singapore: Springer.
- United Nations. 2019. Goal 12 Responsible Consumption and Production. United Nations.
- United Nations. 2021. Sustainable Development Goals Progress Chart 2021
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation. 2021. Artificial Intelligence and the Circular Economy.
- Global Infrastructure Hub. 2021. The Role of Infrastructure in the Circular Economy. 15 April. Global Infrastructure Hub.
- International Resource Panel. 2020. Resource Efficiency and Climate Change: Material Efficiency Strategies for a Low-Carbon Future. Nairobi: United Nations Environment Programme.
- United Nations Environment Programme. 2016. Global Material Flows and Resource Productivity. An Assessment Study of the UNEP International Resource Panel. United Nations Environment Programme.
- United Nations Environment Programme. 2021. Resilient and Inclusive Circular Economy to Build Back Better and Greener. Articulating Social and Environmental Policy for Post-COVID-19 Recovery. United Nations Environment Programme.
- Van Voore, M., and M. J. Baptista. 2021. The International Resource Panel: Presentation to US Government Agencies. 2 March. International Resource Panel.
- Asian Development Bank. 2020. Asian Development Outlook 2020: What Drives Innovation in Asia? Manila: ADB.
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development. 2019. Policy Enablers to Accelerate the Circular Economy. Geneva: WBCSD.