New users must register here first and login.
Demographic Transition and its Impacts on Fiscal Sustainability in East and Southeast Asia
About the Course
This course explores demographic transition in East and Southeast Asia, focusing on the fiscal sustainability and policy implications of rapidly aging populations.
The course consists of 4 units:
Unit 1: Demographic Outlook in East and Southeast Asia (10 minutes)
Unit 2: Fiscal Balance in East and Southeast Asia (5 minutes)
Unit 3: Population Aging and Fiscal Burden (4 minutes)
Unit 4: Direct and Indirect Policy Implications and the Way Forward (13 minutes)
- Better understand the impacts of demographic transition on fiscal sustainability
- Examine population aging scenarios and their government budget implications in economies at different stages of development
- Assess policy options for promoting fiscal sustainability in aging and aged societies
How to Complete this e-Course
- Watch 4 short video lessons
- Review open access reading materials
- Successfully pass quiz with a score of 8/10 or higher
- Answer feedback questions
- Certificate with unique ID will be issued upon completion of course requirements
Upalat Korwatanasakul, Research Fellow, United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability
- Korwatanasakul, U., P. Sirivunnabood, and A. Majoe. 2021. Demographic Transition and Its Impacts on Fiscal Sustainability in East and Southeast Asia. ADBI Working Paper No. 1220. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Park, S.C., N. Ogawa, C. J. Kim, P. Sirivunnabood, and T.H. Le. 2021. Demographic Transition and Its Impacts in Asia and Europe. Tokyo: ADBI.
- Sirivunnabood, P. 2020. Achieving Fiscal Sustainability in the Face of Demographic Change. Asia Pathways. 25 May.
- Sirivunnabood, P. 2020. Demographic Transition and Its Impacts. ADBI E-Learning Course.
- De Meijer, C., B. Wouterse, J. Polder, and M. Koopmanschap. 2013. The Effect of Population Aging on Health Expenditure Growth: A Critical Review. European Journal of Ageing 10(4): 353–361.
- Korwatanasakul, U., K. Kalirajan, H. Ishodo, and M. Primanthi. 2020. Trade in Services: Health Related and Social Services (Promoting Services Trade in ASEAN: Second Phase (Social Services Paper 1). Tokyo: ASEAN-Japan Centre. https://www.asean.or.jp/ja/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/Trade-in-Health-and-Social-Services-Paper-1-full-web.pdf.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 1995. Healthcare Reform: Controlling Spending and Increasing Efficiency. Paris: OECD.
- 2015. Fiscal Sustainability of Health Systems: Bridging Health and Finance Perspectives. Paris: OECD.
- OECD. 2019. Fiscal Challenges and Inclusive Growth in Ageing Societies. Paris: OECD.