Demographic Transition and its Impacts
About the Course
This course explores global demographic transition, with a focus on population aging, its economic effects, and policy next steps. It is divided into 4 units:
Unit 1: Demographic Transition and Trends (15 minutes)
- Demographic transition overview
- Population aging
- Global population outlook
Unit 2: Impact Analysis (10 minutes)
- Impacts of demographic change on advanced and developing economies
- Impacts of aging population on economic growth: two scenarios
Unit 3: Challenges and Policy Implications (10 minutes)
- Population aging challenges
- Macroeconomic variables and fiscal sustainability
- Iron Law of Intergenerational Transfer
- Implications of current policies
Unit 4: Policy Recommendations and COVID-19 Considerations (12 minutes)
- Macroeconomic policies
- Reorient social security systems
- Financial innovation and cooperation
- Labor market reforms
- Improving data and analysis
- COVID-19 impacts on the elderly and policy responses
- Better understand the economic impacts of demographic transition
- Examine different population aging scenarios
- Assess policy options for addressing demographic change
How to Complete this Course
- Watch 4 video lessons
- Review open access reading materials
- Submit an evaluation form
- Successfully pass assessment quiz with a score of 8/10 or higher
- Certificate with unique ID will be issued upon completion of course requirements
- 2019. Aging Societies: Policies and Perspectives. Tokyo: ADBI.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. 2019. World Population Prospects 2019: Highlights. New York: United Nations.
- Lee, J. 2018. Population Aging and Economic Growth: Impacts and Policy Implications. KDI Policy Forum No. 273 (2019-02), eng. Namsejong-ro, Republic of Korea: Korea Development Institute.
- Yoshino, N., and H. Miyamoto. 2017. Declined Effectiveness of Fiscal and Monetary Policies Faced with Aging Population in Japan. Japan and the World Economy, 42(C): 32–44.
- Sirivunnabood, P. 2020. Achieving Fiscal Sustainability in the Face of Demographic Change. Asia Pathways Blog, 25 May.
- Wyse, M. 2020. How to Protect Asia’s Rapidly Aging Population from Covid-19. Asia Development Blog, 6 April.
- United Nations. 2020. Policy Brief: The Impacts of COVID-19 on Older Persons. United Nations.