Financial Inclusion, Financial Literacy, and Financial Education in Asia
About the Course
Improving access to financial services in Asia and the Pacific could boost living standards for millions of people as well as innovative startups and small businesses vital to sustainable growth. To fully capitalize on increased access to financial services in Asia and the Pacific will require tackling low levels of financial literacy among its emerging economies. This lecture will examine challenges and opportunities related to financial inclusion, financial literacy, and financial education in Asia, including their implications for economic and financial development and financial stability.
Build understanding of the status of financial inclusion in Asia as well as strategies for tackling barriers to greater financial inclusion, financial literacy and education, and associated risks.
How to Complete this Course
- Watch 5 short video lessons
- Review assigned open access reading materials
- Submit an Evaluation Form on course key points
- Certificate issued upon completion of course requirements
- Yoshino, N. and P. Morgan, eds. 2017. Financial Inclusion, Regulation, and Education: Asian Perspectives. Tokyo: ADBI Press.
- Atkinson, A., and F. Messy. 2013. Promoting Financial Inclusion through Financial Education: OECD/INFE Evidence, Policies and Practice. OECD Working Papers on Finance, Insurance and Private Pensions 34. Paris.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., L. Klapper, D. Singer, S. Ansar and J. Hess. 2018. The Global Findex Database 2017: Measuring Financial Inclusion And the Fintech Revolution. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Lusardi, A. and O. Mitchell. 2014. The Economic Importance of Financial Literacy: Theory and Evidence. Journal of Economic Literature 52(1): 5–44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1257/jel.52.1.5
- Morgan, P. and V. Pontines. 2018. Financial Stability and Financial Inclusion. Singapore Economic Review 63(1), pp. 111-124. 2018.
- Morgan, P. and L.Q. Trinh. 2017. Determinants and Impacts of Financial Literacy in Cambodia and Viet Nam. With Long Q. Trinh. ADBI Working Paper 754. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute. 2017.
- Morgan, P. and Y. Zhang. 2018. Mortgage Lending, Banking Crises and Financial Stability in Asia. Singapore Economic Review 63(1), pp. 125-146. 2018.