Governing Sustainable Finance
About the Course
This course explores the fundamentals of sustainable finance, climate risk assessment, and the integration of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into investment strategies. It consists of 4 units:
Unit 1: Climate-Related Risks (15 minutes)
Unit 2: Managing Climate-Related Risks (10 minutes)
Unit 3: Integrating ESG Factors into Investment Strategies (9 minutes)
Unit 4: Generating and Disclosing ESG-Related Data and its Impacts (13 minutes)
- Better understand the links between sustainability and finance
- Assess potential climate impacts and the use of risk management tools
- Identify non-financial disclosure frameworks
- Examine ESG datasets, reporting gaps, and the future of sustainable finance
How to Complete this Course
- Watch 4 short video lessons
- Review open access reading materials
- Successfully pass quiz with a score of 8/10 or higher
- Answer feedback questions
- Certificate with unique ID will be issued upon completion of course requirements
- Carbon Disclosure Project. 2020. Analysis of CA100+ Company Data for CDP Investor Signatories. London: Carbon Disclosure Project.
- Carbon Tracker. 2017. Stranded Assets.
- Climate Disclosure Standards Boards. 2020. Falling Short? London and California, United States: Climate Disclosure Standards Boards and Sustainability Accounting Standards Board.
- European Commission. 2020. Taxonomy: Final Report of the Technical Expert Group on Sustainable Finance. Brussels: European Commission.
- Eurosif. 2020. Responsible Investment Strategies.
- 2020. Responsible Investment Strategies
- Friede, G., T. Busch, and A. Bassen. 2015. ESG and Financial Performance: Aggregated Evidence from More Than 2000 Empirical Studies. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment 5(4): 210–233.
- Global Sustainable Investment Alliance. 2019. 2018 Global Sustainable Investment Review.
- Governance Pension Investment Fund. 2018. ESG Report 2018. Tokyo: Governance Pension Investment Fund.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2018. IPCC Special Report: Global Warming of 1.5°C. Geneva: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2019a. IPCC Special Report: Climate Change and Land. Geneva: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2019b. IPCC Special Report: The Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate. Geneva: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Network for Greening the Financial System. 2019. A Call for Action: Climate Change as A Source of Financial Risk.
- Schumacher, K., H. Chenet, and U. Volz. 2020. Sustainable Finance in Japan. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment 10(20): 213–243.
- Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures. 2017. Final Report: Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures. Basel: Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures.
- United Nations Environment Programme. 2015. The Financial System We Need Aligning the Financial System with Sustainable Development. Bangkok: United Nations Environment Programme.
- United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment. 2019. The Inevitable Policy Response: Policy Forecasts. London: United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment.
- World Economic Forum. 2020. The Global Risk Report. Geneva: World Economic Forum.
- Zhou, X., B. L. Caldecott, E. Harnett and K. Schumacher. 2020. The Effect of Firm-Level ESG Practices on Macroeconomic Performance. University of Oxford Working Paper 20/03. Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University.