New users must register here first and login.
Sustainable and Quality Infrastructure Beyond the COVID-19 Pandemic
About the Course
This course examines shifts in infrastructure needs during the COVID-19 crisis and ways to advance new projects critical to sustainable and inclusive recovery amid difficult post-pandemic financing conditions. It explains how green bonds and public-private partnerships can mobilize infrastructure investment and policy next steps.
The course is based on policy guidance produced by the Group of 20’s (G20) official think tank engagement group, the Think20 (T20), and provides valuable insights that are applicable to both developing and developed economies. It consists of 4 units:
Unit 1: COVID-19 and Infrastructure Needs (15 minutes)
- Changing infrastructure needs
- Public financing shortfalls
- Resetting policy priorities
- Focus on social, sustainable, and digital infrastructure
Unit 2: Introduction to Green Bonds (10 minutes)
- What are green bonds
- Data and statistics
- Green bond policies
Unit 3: Financing Infrastructure Development (18 minutes)
- What are public-private partnerships (PPPs)?
- How PPPs are financed
- Role of digital technologies
Unit 4: Infrastructure Outlook and Moving Forward (11 minutes)
- Additional factors for successful infrastructure development
- Key takeaways
- Role of the G20 and moving forward
- Better understand how the COVID-19 pandemic has transformed infrastructure needs
- Acquire broad, practical knowledge on addressing infrastructure financing challenges
- Learn how infrastructure development can support sustainable economic recovery
How to Complete this Course
- Watch 4 short video lessons
- Review open access reading materials
- Pass a multiple-choice test with a score of 8/10 or higher
- Answer 2 brief feedback questions
- Certificate issued upon completion of course requirements
Lilian Tan, E-Learning Consultant, ADBI
- Ayadi, R., D. Azhgaliyeva, T. Sonobe, and N. S. Hendriyetty. Sustainable and Quality Infrastructure Beyond the Covid-19 Pandemic: Proposals for New Financing Models. T20 Policy Brief, Task Force 7.
- Hendriyetty, N. S., Boden, A., and K. Takayama. 2021. Social Infrastructure to Drive Sustainable Development in Asia Beyond the Pandemic. 14 June. Asia Pathways.
- Asian Development Bank Institute. 2020. Building the Future of Quality Infrastructure. Tokyo: ADBI.
- Azhgaliyeva, D., and A. Kapoor. 2020. Achieving Policy Objectives for Green Bonds in ASEAN. 10 July. Asia Pathways.
- Azhgaliyeva, D. 2020. As Pandemic Bonds Hit the Market, What Can Asia Do to Ensure Its Green Bond Growth Potential? Asia’s Developing Future podcast. ADBI.
- Azhgaliyeva, D., and R. Mishra. Green Investments: Renewable Energy. ADBI E-Learning.
- Azhgaliyeva, D., A. Kapoor, and Y. Liu. 2020. Green Bonds for Financing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in Southeast Asia: A Review of Policies. ADBI Working Paper 1073. Tokyo: ADBI.
- Kapoor, A., E.-Q. Teo, D. Azhgaliyeva, and Y. Liu. 2020. The Viability of Green Bonds as a Financing Mechanism for Green Buildings in ASEAN. ADBI Working Paper 1186. Tokyo: ADBI.
- Azhgaliyeva, A., and B. Liddle. 2020. Scaling Up Green Finance in Asia. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment 10(2): 83–91.
- Ayadi, R., and E. Avgouleas. 2021. Towards a New PPP Financing Framework for Infrastructure Development in Africa. EMEA Policy Paper.
- Ayadi, R., and E. Avgouleas. 2021. Time for a Tech-Driven Platform to Boost Global Debt Transparency. Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Ayadi, R., and E. Avgouleas. 2020. Time to Implement a Tech-Driven Sovereign Debt Transparency Initiative: Concept, Design, and Policy Actions. G20 Insights Policy Brief.
- Ayadi, R., and E. Avgouleas. 2020. Preventing and Managing Debt Crisis: The Role of Debt Transparency. EMEA Policy Paper.
- Kraemer, M. 2020. Making Transparency Pay: Designing the Right Incentives for Debt Managers in Africa. EMEA Policy Paper.
- Yoshino, N., and N. Hendriyetty. 2020. The COVID-19 Crisis: Policy Recommendations for Japan. The Economists’ Voice. De Gruyter: 1–9.
- Yoshino, N., N. Hendriyetty, and F. Taghizadeh-Hesary. 2020. Economists' Views on the Global Economy: How a Big Impact from Covid-19 on SME Finance & Infrastructure Maintenance Can Be Avoided. Japan Spotlight: The World Trade System with Covid-19. Japan Economic Foundation: 64–67. https://www.jef.or.jp/journal/pdf/232nd_EVGE.pdf
- Yoshino, N., N. Hendriyetty, and D. Hondo. 2021. Private Financing for Sustainable and Quality Infrastructure in the Face of Covid-19. In The Global Quest for Sustainability: The role of Green Infrastructure in a Post Pandemic World, edited by C. Secchi and A. Gili. Milan, Italy: Ledizioni LediPublishing. https://www.ispionline.it/en/pubblicazione/global-quest-sustainability-role-green-infrastructure-post-pandemic-world-31018