Energy Economics, Environment, and Policy
1 hour 10 minutes
About the Course
This course examines current fossil fuel and renewable energy sector challenges and policy imperatives at local, national, and global levels. It is divided into 4 units:
Unit 1: Energy Pricing (18 minutes)
- Determinants of energy supply and demand
- Key monetary policies affecting energy prices
- Trends in the global energy sector
Unit 2: Macroeconomic Impact of Energy Price Fluctuations (14 minutes)
- Energy demand in Japan, the People’s Republic of China, and the United States
- Relationship between energy prices and economic growth
- Association of energy prices and general price levels
- Impact of higher energy prices on supply and demand
Unit 3: Achieving Energy Security (13 minutes)
- Definition of energy security
- “4-A” framework of energy security
- Case study: Assessing energy security in Central Asian countries
- Related policy implications
Unit 4: Financing Renewable Energy Projects (24 minutes)
- Challenges for low-carbon project development
- Enabling conditions of green finance
- Case study: Waste-to-energy project leverage, transparency, and results
- Conclusions and policy recommendations
- Explores key energy economics issues, including pricing mechanisms, macroeconomic impacts of energy price shocks, the importance of energy carriers in developing and developed economies, and energy security.
- Analyzes policy options for addressing renewable energy development, environmental sustainability, and green growth.
How to Complete this Course
- Watch four short video lessons
- Review open access learning materials
- Submit an evaluation form
- Certificate issued upon completion of course requirements
Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary, Professor, Tokai University, Japan
- Yoshino, N., and F. Taghizadeh-Hesary. Monetary Policy and the Oil Market, ADB Institute Series on Development Economics. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute. 2016.
- Sachs, J., W. T. Woo, N. Yoshino, and F. Taghizadeh-Hesary. Handbook of Green Finance: Energy Security and Sustainable Development. Tokyo: Springer. 2019.
- Taghizadeh-Hesary, F., N. Yoshino, Y. Chang, and A. Rillo. Achieving Energy Security in Asia: Diversification, integration and policy implications. Tokyo: World Scientific. 2019.